Saturday, July 4, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - July Block 1 - Lantern

I was looking for something simple and slightly linear for the red blocks this month.  Red will make up the bottom center of the finished quilt and I didn't want anything that would be too flashy.  So I looked through my copy of The Quilt Block Bible to see what I could find.  I decided on this block called Lantern which fit the bill nicely and seems to fit nicely with the color red. 
 From red scraps you will need to cut two strips that are 2.5 by 6.5 and one that is 2.5 by 4.5.
From background fabric, you will cut four 2.5 inch squares and two rectangles 2.5 by 1.5.
 Sew one of the small background rectangles onto the smaller red rectangle.  Place a square of background fabric onto each end of both larger red rectangles.  Draw a line from corner to corner diagonally on each background square.  Notice that the lines both angle to the center and do not run parallel to one another.  Sew on the drawn line.
 You may also sew inside the sewn lines to yield bonus triangles, but this part is optional.
 Press and trim the bonus triangles.
Arrange your three subunits as shown.  I like the way the lighter red "glows" in the center.  This would be a fun scrap quilt with yellow red or orange in the center and lots of different color for the lamps.  
 
Here are the three subunits sewn together which will form a 6.5 inch sampler blocks.  
Add the star points following the tutorial found on the RSC15 Sampler tab at the top of the page.  Scroll down to the earlier post from today for ScrapHappy Saturday.  I will schedule the second block for July to post on Monday in case you have a holiday for Independence day.   

6 comments:

Lydsfire said...

I have not seen much of a block like this.. I like it!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Red! Perfect for my foxes!

Rosa said...

It`s stunning!

Dasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dasha said...

Nice block AngelA

Delighted Hands said...

Nothing like a pop of red in a quilt; this one is very pretty.