Monday, June 3, 2013

Orphan Quilt Play Day

 After spending a bit of time cleaning up in the sewing room, a big stack of orphan blocks ended up in the scrap basket.  While looking at youtube videos of sock knitting, I ended up on longarm quilting tutorials finding just the right inspiration for my Midget quilt which is waiting in the wings.  At this point I decided I was definitely in need of a practice top.  So, with a little help from Anna, we sorted through the blocks picking out sets to puzzle together into a top.  Check out all the excellent practice space!
There are certainly blocks for at least one more quilt amongst the happy chaos.  First though, Anna was inspired by a set of applique blocks and has printed off a group of patterns that she wants to try to turn into some blocks of her own.  She is feeling so excited right now -- best to strike while the enthusiasm is abundant.  Ryan has math camp for the next two weeks so a little quality girl time sounds just about perfect.  

6 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

How exciting!!! What I wouldn't give to be able to have quality sewing time with my daughter or granddaughter! None of mine have shown an interest in sewing so far, so I'm pretty jealous of those of you who get to play with your children. And that's an excellent idea to make a practice top. You can have loads of fun and not worry that you are ruining a special top.

Northern Deb said...

That sure looks like a lot of fun... playing with all those orphans blocks... it'll make an interesting quilt. I pulled some of mine out the other day and sorted them into piles (30's, civil war, solids, etc) so that I can make a sampler type quilt like you are. It feels good to make use of the odd pieces. Enjoy your project!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I love that the blocks are turning into a quilt.. :D It looks great, and it will be a great one to practice on!!

Kath said...

what lovely fun!

Deb A said...

That sounds like lots of fun, especially on a rainy week we are expecting.

Ellen said...

Excellent idea! I am in a similar situation - I need to practice but I don't want to waste perfectly good fabric or ruin a quilt top.