Sunday, July 1, 2012

Handwork on Sunday

Kathy has started posting a linky on Sundays for handwork.  When I saw it earlier today I was inspired to settle in and enjoy a little hand sewing.  Like Kathy, I still do all my bindings by hand.  As there are now 7 quilts in the stack needing finished binding work, I thought I should get started.  I got some easy thread needles while I was out on Friday and wanted to try using them to finish off the joins where bobbins run out or threads break during machine quilting.  While doing the binding I like to inspect the quilt, get rid of all the little loose threads and generally admire the quilt a little.  Hand sewing binding is a long patient process, so it allows plenty of time for all of that.  While I had handwork in mind, I went ahead and printed out some 4.5 inch blocks that might work with my Midgets.  I think I've just about finished everything that isn't paper pieced and so searched for a few correctly sized blocks to work into the mix.  There were some block of the months from 2010 on the Dear Jane sight that I thought might work nicely. 

9 comments:

audrey said...

I totally agree with you. Hand stitching is the perfect time for both admiring and inspecting your quilt!

Kate said...

Hand sewing the binding to the back is usually a relaxing time (unless it needs to be wrapped the next morning).

Linda Lee said...

I was so glad to read your blog today. I also do all my bindings by hand. Some people have told me it is a waste of my time. I like the way it looks and feel a sense of satisfaction that I have actually held it and sewn on it. Maybe that is sappy and sentimental..But it works for me.

Quilter Kathy said...

Exactly! Maybe it's a "letting go" process of finishing up the quilt and appreciating the time you worked together! Love those green scissors!

Lynne said...

I also hand sew my bindings and hide all those loose ends inside the layers!

Amanda said...

I agree with what everyone else has said. I enjoy finishing my bindings by hand, it's a reflective way to finish off any quilt.

Ellen said...

I feel the same way when I am hand stitching the binding down. I like to be hands-on and get up close and personal.

Diane Kelsey said...

hand stitching bindings is definetly the best way. Hopefully this linky will have more quilts finished.

Andee said...

Way to go. Very relaxing!