Sunday, July 1, 2012

Blue Month

Can you believe that ALL those scraps came from that little jar?  It seems that most people use LOTS of blue in their quilts.  Did you know that 60% of people have blue as their favorite color?  So if ever you need to make a quilt for someone, and you don't have a hint as to color, try blue.  I started out with blue as the first color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge last year and thought that I would never get through it all.  As an effort to try to make it more manageable this year, I am pulling out all the teal to be its own color.  Try separating your scraps and see if you have enough aqua to stand alone.  If not, try separating the dark blue from the light.  The idea is to make blue into two colors so that you don't drown in a sea of water colored scraps.  Having said all of that, blue is the color for July.  Make sure you check out the RSC12 tab at the top of the page for links to blue quilts for inspiration.  Happy sewing. 

12 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Hahaha, I don't even think of blue as my favorite color - I don't wear it much and it doesn't dominate my quilts...however I am ALWAYS buying blue fabric for some reason and I have more blue than anything else in my stash!!!

Amy said...

I don't think blue is my favorite color, but it CERTAINLY shows up most in my quilts. I have a blue UFO sitting; maybe it'll FINALLY need to see a finish this month.

Thanks Angela.

Kath said...

that's interesting because, I love blue, I wear a lot of blue and I have 2 blue quilts, but I have no other blue in my home. I think it is a difficult colour to decorate with, as it can be very cold. As I type I am looking lovingly at a scrappy blue courthouse steps quilt, laid over an old pint chest in my sitting room.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I have lots of blue scraps and blue is the biggest amount in my stash but orange or red is really my favorite color. This month will be fun!

Kate said...

Blue is my favorite color and I have a lot of blue in my stash. It's one of my favorite colors to play with.

Betty Lou said...

Great, I have a lot of blue scraps to work with. Let the challenge begin.

Ellen said...

I have lots of blue too. I had started making some blue string blocks for a quilt for my nephew Mark. Maybe it will see some action this month!

Quilter Kathy said...

That was fun to see all the blue quilts on the links...thanks! I definitely have enough scraps to make three piles...aqua, light blue and dark blue!

Judith said...

Blue is my favorite color! Judith, Texas

Cathy Tomm said...

Whoop y Blue! I have so much blue. I maybe have more green scraps but Blue is a favourite colour of mine. I love the shades of turquoise. I am wearing a Blue T shirt today. Now to go and sort my box of blue scarps, they are a mess, I may need a larger box.

Lynne said...

Good tips. I had already separated the green-blues from the other blues but I think I have enough scraps to be going on with! LOL

AnnieO said...

Blue is a color I put in quilts for other people but hardly pick for myself--but I totally agree with the 60% statistic!