Sunday, March 11, 2012

Weekend Washed Away

I'm not sure why I thought I could do camporee, a quilt show, pink scrap sewing and all the usual weekend work done all during the same day.  Yesterday was a beautiful day for Camporee, a tiny bit hot and sticky, but sunny and gorgeous.  I tried to talk Sydney in to letting me leave as her troop had plenty of adult supervision, but she really wanted me with her all day.  I got her home and took time to shower and have dinner before heading back for the night shift with Anna's troop.  Things started off well enough, we did the campfire and DJ followed by inflatable fun.  Trying to settle the girls down to sleep was a bit difficult, but we finally got them to quiet down around midnight.  It was 1 a.m. when the rain started.  Shouldn't have been a big deal, but I was in a very leaky tent and spent most of the night trying to dodge falling drops and move my sleeping bag out of puddles.  By dawn I was sitting up on a pile of damp sleeping bag soaked to the bone without a stitch of dry clothing to be found.  I grabbed Anna and abandoned all hope, heading for home.  I feel really bad about abandoning the rest of the troop, but I did head back later to find them all gone as well.  The campsite was a submerged mess of partially collapsed tents and abandoned camping gear.  We grabbed what we could and another family from the troop was nice enough to pack all the tents up and deliver them after the rain had died down.  We've all been a bit wiped out since then, catching up on laundry and taking turns napping.  Not exactly the productive weekend I had hoped for, but tomorrow is another day. 

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Your post about camping brought back memories of camping trips during my childhood. We camped almost every other weekend every summer. Have no idea how many times we went camping, too numerous to count. Our last camping trip was during a very wet, cold weekend and we were cold and wet the ENTIRE weekend. Sunday morning we packed up, in the rain, went home, and that was IT for us. We sold the tent :D
Sorry this happened to you.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness...I remember those "good old days"....NOT fun! Soaked to the bone and exhausted! Hope you have recovered quickly!

Amanda said...

This brought back memories of camping with my parents and also of our first trip to France with our sons when they ended up in our tent during a torrential downpour. But it will be a camp that your daughters will remember above all the lovely dry and warm camps.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

What a wonderful memory you will have. You can always sew another day, but you won't be able to do that wonderful all day camping with the girls at this age again. Enjoy it while they are little. They grow up way too fast.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Now this will be a camping experience that you'll always remember! Sorry it turned out that way, the girls sure look happy in the photo!!

Andee said...

Doesn't sound like fun but will be a memory forever! When we were kids we went to the boundary waters and one night it rained...the four of us girls didn't dig a trench and in the middle of the night we were all up digging said trench while our dads watched (dry I might add) from their tent. It is one of my best memories now but I didn't enjoy it then! Oh, and I always dig a trench when camping anywhere but AZ!