Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ribbons for Mom



I just sewed the binding on Mom's quilt.  I'll do the hand sewing on the car trip. The rectangles of pink for the border were the same length as the blocks so that they could be sewn together with the blocks instead of as a separate step.  I guess I'll try to avoid borders in whatever way I can.  The back is flannel with pink ribbons, so it should be nice and soft.  There is enough extra so that I can make a little carry bag and pillow to match.  I'm not sure if you can see the quilting, but it is stripes of ribbons.   
Spring break seems to have zoomed by so far. Monday was rainy and we went with friends to see a movie. The kids thought the movie for Diary of a Wimpy Kid was very different from the book, but they seemed to enjoy it. Kurt had a meeting in Miami yesterday so was gone all day. I had a repairman over to look at the fridge and it looks like we'll be needing a new one.  I did get out last night though for drinks with two girl friends.We tried to go to Grills, but faced with an hour long wait for a table we found a back-up plan.  There is something very nice about being able to sit next to the water and relax with friends and food. 

18 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the pink quilt and I'm sure your Mom will enjoy using it! I really like the "non pink bits" that you sprinkled around the quilt for added interest.
BTW...Is the blog background change a foreshadowing of an announcement for the scrappy challenge?!?

Cattinka said...

I really like that ribbon quilt! The colours are very nice!
KATRIN W.

Barb said...

That is sooooooooooooooooooooo awesome....your mom will love it!

Diane Kelsey said...

A lovely quilt! Breast cancer is a charity I like to support, a quilt would be lovely to make and donate as a raffle prize.

Janet said...

A lovely quilt that will bring alot of comfort and love to your Mom. I'm so glad you are enjoying your spring break. You have been so busy lately--it's good to slow down.

Andee said...

It is really gorgeous! I love it!

LuAnn said...

Your Mom will love such a thoughtful quilt. You did a beautiful job. Glad you will get to present it in person.

Angie said...

That 'pink ribbon' quilt is beautiful! And I love flannel on the backs of my quilts. So snuggly. I love the way you pieced your border pieces in with the blocks...thanks for sharing that idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful. You're mom will be blessed!

Elly D said...

Such a beautiful quilt Angela. I'm positive your mum will love it. Love your little dog... so cute ;)

make.share.give said...

So pretty. I know she'll love to snuggle with it!

sophie said...

I love the pretty pink quilt you made for your mom and know she will treasure it.

I confess I came looking for the color for April ... my "green" scrap contribution was so light, I am determined to get an early start on a productive month of scraps this time.

floribunda said...

Sophie's right -- we're out here clamoring for April's color choice!

Maybe it's pink, in response to your mother's lovely quilt?

Quilting By Celia said...

The quilt turned out really nice.

Candace said...

Your mom's quilt is beautiful and I'm sure that it will be a comfort to her. We ladies like pretty, it makes us feel better. Sounds like you had a pleasant evening with your friends.

Ann-Christin said...

I love the Pink ribbon quilt you have done. Sad that you had to do one to your mother but I am sure she will love it.
I have a friend that got breast cancer and have looked around a lot to find some nice pattern, so i could do something to her, so she could find some comfort while in treatment. So my question is where did you found that lovley pattern?

Anne in Sweden
anne.noren@spray.se

Granny said...

Very nice. I know it meant so much to her. Thanks for sending me the link.

Gail said...

This is a beautiful quilt. I noticed it while looking at the color of the month for the RBS. I have looked for a pretty pattern in the pink ribbon design. I think I will make this one. Unfortunately I have many friends that have had breast cancer and I would love to give one of these to them.