Monday, July 6, 2009

Butterfly Quilt


Amanda was searching for butterfly patterns, which made me think of a cute quilt I made with Anna and her friend Skye several years ago. I can't find the pattern for the life of me, but I did find this block in my orphan stack. It uses a flip and sew technique that was really easy for the girls to do.

Fabric requirements for each block
Background fabric (blue in this case):
4.5 inch squares = 2
4.5 by 8.5 inch rectangles = 2

Wing color (pink in my sample)
4.5 inch squares = 4
2.5 inch squares = 2

Body color (black)
4.5 inch square = 1
1.5 inch square = 1

Place one pink square right sides together on top of the back ground rectangle at the left end and sew corner to corner. (If you've never done flip and sew, let me know and I'll take a quick photo) Flip the pink square back and cut away the corners below (double sew if you would like "bonus" HST units). Repeat the same process, this time placing the square on the opposite edge to create a mirror image. Next take the two 2.5 inch pink squares and use the same flip and sew technique on opposite corners of the 4.5 inch black square. Last, but not least, make the head by sewing and flipping the 1.5 inch black square to the 4.5 inch square of background. Arrange the blocks as shown and sew together. The girls used a sharpie marker to draw antenae, but it would be very cute with some embroidery detail here.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Angela, thank you so much for posting this picture and the tutorial too. It's exactly what I'm looking for, something fairly simple to put together and then I can embellish the blocks with embroidery, or trimmings, buttons, crystals etc. Then I can put the blocks together either with sashings or with alternate blocks and sashings. Add a border or two and Bob's your uncle. Thank you very much for the kind thought. I hope other people are inspired too.