Thursday, June 4, 2009

Little Bits

I was following links on a blog from my bloglines list and ended up at a site that had a link to a calendar quilt challenge. Most of the blocks they showed were made of strings that were 1 inch by 10 inches I think. One string is added each day of the month and then all of the blocks are sewn together to represent a year. The fabrics can be from what you are working on that day, or the season, and embroidery can be added on special days. While I didn't care for the shape of the sting blocks, I thought it might be fun to try a similar idea with 2 inch squares. They could be sewn into rows of 7 to represent weeks and then groups of 4 to represent months. Although I'm not anywhere near the beginning of a new calendar year, I just celebrated my birthday, which is the beginning of MY year. I don't know if I'll follow through for an entire year, but here is the first week of my 38th year. The little present represents my birthday. Most of the week was spent on the Things Quilters Think quilt, but I spent some time at the end of the week working on the sock monkey happy blocks. Next week the colors will shift to a more pastel palette. I guess it's a more systematic way to approach a charm quilt.
I decided that paper piecing was the only way to make the flying geese work out for the Tea Rose Sampler Quilt. I drew the pattern out on graph paper and then traced it onto tear away stabilizer. After that I spent most of the day puttering around the house doing organizational things. It is now possible to locate things in the pantry and the CDs are no longer mixed in with the DVDs. Little bits of order in a world full of chaos make me happy. What makes you happy?

5 comments:

Donna said...

love your modification of the calendar quilt... sounds fun :-)

Amanda said...

I love the idea of the calendar quilt, but I know I'd never keep it going for more than a few weeks, and then a few missed days would dishearten me and I'd give up. Oh, how I used to love the first week or so of the long summer holidays, when I worked my way through the house, tidying, cleaning and organising. That enthusiasm only lasted for a few weeks too!

Micki said...

The calendar quilt sounds like a wonderful idea. Have fun with it!
Micki

Julie said...

Your calendar quilt is a great idea! Love it.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I think the calendar quilt is a wonderful idea. It is one I've been thinking about doing ever since someone had a daily journal quilt. I just might start something like this someday!